Information for British Riders
The UK Sports Association is pleased to support the Virtus 2021 Para Equestrian Event for the fifth consecutive year and invites expressions of interest from British riders for both the Senior and Youth events.
The video competition, now in its 5th year is a well-established Championship within the Virtus programme.
For 2021, UKSA is delighted to be working with the RDA (Riding for the Disabled) to develop the pathway for British riders through UKSA to the Virtus Championships. RDA and UKSA have worked together to develop and agree upon a process for qualification for UK riders for 2021. 2021 should be considered a transition year with qualification processes likely to change for 2022 and beyond.
Summary of Selection Process (Please read the full policy)
For new Riders:
- RDA will identify potential top 3 from RDA classes at each qualifier event
- RDA Equine and Competitions Manager will liaise with RDA group and Regional Organiser to inform them that their participant is being considered for selection.
- Rider under consideration completes Expression of Interest and submits to UKSA by 17th July 2021. *See update below dated 19.7.21 regarding extension to deadline for receipt of expressions of interest
- Rider under consideration begins the classification process under the guidance of UKSA.
- Subject to achieving an approved classification status and meeting requirements of the UKSA selection policy, the classified rider will be invited to submit a video entry.
For Riders who have previously competed at Virtus Para-Dressage
- Rider completes Expression of Interest and submits to UKSA by 17th July 2021. *See update of 19.7.21 below regarding extension for receipt of expressions of interest)
- Riders results from previous Virtus Championships also taken into consideration.
- Subject to meeting requirements of the UKSA selection policy, including classification, the rider will be invited to submit a video entry.
Eligibility to Compete
All British riders, without exception, will need to hold a classification recognised by UKSA or Virtus to be eligible to compete for Great Britain. Both levels can only be obtained through the UK Sports Association, the GB member of Virtus.
What should you do if you need to be classified?
You can read about classification here. Please do not start the process until you are contacted by the RDA to confirm you are under consideration OR contacted by the UK Sports Association to start the process. Please do not delay in responding as only riders who are classified can be considered for video entry.
Unless otherwise advised by UKSA, new riders will complete a UKSA UK level application form for consideration.
All classification enquiries should be sent to Tracey.email@example.com Please put ‘URGENT Classification Enquiry – Virtus Para Dressage” in the subject line.
A classification application is not an administrative process, but is a rigorous method of evaluating and assessing whether an athlete is eligible to compete. Given the time required to progress through this system, interested athletes or their advocate, should contact the UK Sports Association urgently to seek advice and guidance on starting an application. Application is no guarantee a classification will be granted.
Submitting GB Entries
All entries to the event and enquiries will be made through the UK Sports Association. Please do not contact Virtus directly.
What level of competitor will UKSA consider?
Any new rider being considered for 2021 must score 60% plus in an RDA Regional Qualifier. The top 3 placings will be looked at in each class at the RDA regionals. Riders who have previously competed at a Virtus Equestrian Championships will also be considered on the basis of those performances also.
Competitors should be in regular training and competitions. Competitors should be competent, experienced and accomplished riders. Entries should be at a truly competitive level and ideally have the potential of progressing to the top 6 competitors worldwide. Instructors/coaches and riders should review previous results to understand the level of competition and be prepared to provide UKSA with information on how the interested riders abilities compare.
UKSA reserve the right to change or enhance this requirement as necessary to maximise the chances of British success.
Important Documents to read
* See update below dated 19.7.21 regarding expression of interest deadlines.
Read the full UKSA GB Selection Policy
Read the full GB Rules and Regulations for British riders
Download the GB Expression of Interest form
View previous Para Equestrian Results here
The Virtus Championship Entry Form will also be sent to riders who meet the criteria for consideration by the UKSA Sport Selection Committee (SSC). For 2021 the SSC comprises UKSA and RDA.
What do you do if you are interested in this Championships?
Read the full UKSA GB Selection Policy and Rules and Regulations for British Riders
For new riders, if contacted by RDA Equine and Competitions Manager, complete the UKSA Expression of Interest Form and email to UKSA by 12 noon on 17th July 2021. (See Update below on deadlines)
For riders who have competed previously at the Virtus Para Equestrian Championships, complete the UKSA Expression of Interest Form and email to UKSA by 12 noon on 17th July 2021 (see update below on deadlines)
Send Expressions of interest to
firstname.lastname@example.org clearly marked ‘Expression of Interest – Para Dressage’ in the subject line.
- *Update 19.7.21 – the deadline for expressions of interest to reach UKSA for all riders has been extended to 5pm on Tuesday 20th July 2021. No further extensions will be provided. We are unable to consider expressions from any riders who do not meet this revised deadline.
If invited to do so, complete the classification application and process without delay.
14th July 2021 – RDA informs new riders under consideration
17th July 2021, 12 noon: Expressions of interest for all riders to reach UKSA, with immediate start of classification process.
September 2021: Classification status must be confirmed for new riders in order to be eligible to compete.
28th September 2021, 11.59pm: Video submissions to UKSA (only for those who receive eligible classification status). Late entries will not be considered and not submitted to Virtus.
19th October 2021: Virtus announce results of Championships
IMPORTANT COVID-19 GUIDANCE: At all times, the UK Sports Association advises riders and their support networks who may be interested in this event, to follow current Government rules, restrictions and medical advice around the Coronavirus. These rules should be followed at all times and for however long the Government and medical advisers think necessary. The safety of riders, supporters and staff at local centres is of paramount importance.